As with all metals, special care must be taken to ensure they do not scratch or tarnish. Below is a general guideline:
- Store jewelry in a clean, dry place away from natural sunlight, humidity (bathroom), and heat.
- Each piece should be stored individually to avoid scratching, in an air-tight zip lock if possible to avoid air contact.
- Remove jewelry before showering, going to bed, or participating in physical activity especially swimming. Remove rings before washing your hands every time.
- Avoid exposure to sweat and harsh chemicals such as perfumes, cleaning agents, chlorine, and saltwater.
- Use a silver-polishing cloth to clean the pieces if the jewelry has become dull.
Oxidation appears with time as this is just the metal (silver or brass) reacting to the oxygen in the air. Thus, this is considered normal wear and tear and is not a defect.